Enrol for this course online now with your Credit or Laser
- Course Fee: Special Offer - Now only
- Award: FETAC Level 6 component Certificate in
Sports Nutrition (N32982).
- Distance Learning Course.
- Enrol now to secure your place!
Request a Free 2013 Prospectus»
us on 01-2061832»
The module is designed to provide the learner with a sound
knowledge of the concepts of nutrition, in relation to the
energy sources and amounts required for active living,
and weight management.
On completion of the award, you will:
- Be familiar with the concepts of nutrition and
- Outline common terminology associated with nutrition
and the nutritional requirements of active people.
- Understand the role of the macro-nutrients as energy
sources in exercise and sport.
- Describe optimal food and fluid intake before,
during and after exercise.
- Utilise and evaluate common methods for assessing
energy intake and energy expenditure
- Design appropriate nutrition programmes for
different sporting and weight management needs.
- Understand the concepts involved in mineral and
- Investigate the potential versus actual benefits of
taking nutritional ergogenic aids for exercise.
- Unit 1: Energy Sources for Sport and Exercise
- Unit 2: Nutrition and fluid intake before, during
and after exercise
- Unit 3: Weight Management for Sport and
- Unit 4: Micro-nutrients, supplementation,
Entry Requirements /
- FETAC Level 5 in sports area or equivalent
qualifications and/or relevant life and work
- As this programme is delivered through blended
learning, students must be capable of studying on their
Assignment : The brief for this assignment will
focus on the nutritional requirements for sports specific
athletes. Compile a three part menu for elite sports players
or a long distance event, focusing on:
- Pre-event nutrition and fluid intake,
- Recommended amount and type of food and fluid intake
during the match phase/exercise phase and
- Post match/event nutritional replenishment. They
must identify and justify the components of the food and
fluid intake for each of the phases.
Examination: The internal assessor will devise a
theory based examination that assesses candidates’ ability
to recall, comprehend and apply the theory learned in the
module by answering both short and longer structured
The examination will be based on a range of specific
learning outcomes from each of the units in the module. The
examination will be 2 hours in duration.
The format of the examination will be as follows:
- 12 short answer questions. Candidates must answer 10
(4 marks each).
- 4 structured questions. Candidates must answer 3 (20
Project: This brief focuses on the application of
nutritional and weight management concepts taught in Units 1
and 3 and applied to a client that wishes to loose 8-10 lbs
in an eight week
period. Candidates will design a weight control programme of
combined exercise and diet, following an evaluation of
energy intake and expenditure, which would enable client to
ideal body weight. They must include a justification for
their choices in menus to equate with their clients energy
- Following successful completion you will receive a
FETAC Level 6 component certificate in Sports
- The Further Education and Training Awards Council (FETAC)
is the national awarding body for further education and
training in Ireland. ITEC - Irish Training and Educational
Centre is registered with FETAC to offer programmes leading to FETAC awards in the
National Framework of Qualifications in Ireland. Click
here for details of the
National Framework of Qualifications.
- There is a €85.00 registration fee payable to
include administration, moderation, exam costs and FETAC
Back to Sports & Fitness