This QQI Level 6 Sport Psychology 6N4665 programme is designed to assist learners in understanding the psychological aspects of sport. It aims to equip learners with the skills and knowledge to understand and help change the behaviours of athletes in order to improve performance.
Sports Psychology is continually growing in Ireland. This has been aided by the success of Irish sports teams and individuals who have employed the services of sport psychologists being well documented e.g. Tipperary hurlers and Dublin footballers winning their respective All Ireland Finals.
This programme will introduce you to the discipline of sports psychology. It will focus on the key topics of sports psychology, and how they are applied to aid performance in sport.
Sports Psychology Programme Aims:
- Understand the role of the sports psychologist
- Understand the relationship between sports psychology and performance
- Know how to design and deliver intervention strategies to improve sports performance (e.g. how to deal with anxiety)
- Evaluate different approaches to motivation in sport
- Understand the Influence of leaders and role models in sport.
Topics to be Covered:
- The Development of Sports Psychology
- Sports Psychology and Performance
- Arousal, Stress and Anxiety
- Concept of Motivation in Sport
- Goal Setting
- Leadership and Coaching.
The course is ideal for:
- Students who wish to receive a nationally recognised certificate at FETAC level 6 in Sports Psychology.
- People involved in the Sports and Leisure Industry looking for an understanding of Sports Psychology and its applications in sporting environments.
- Coaches looking to complete a qualification to enhanced their learning in the Sports Psychology field.
- Coaches looking to complete a qualification in the area of Sports and Sports performance.
Athletes and Leisure participants.
Pre-Requisites/ Entry Level Requirements:
- QQI or FETAC Level 5 in sports area or equivalent qualifications and/or relevant life and work experiences.
- As this programme is delivered through distance learning, students must be capable of studying on their own initiative.
Unit 1: The development of Sports Psychology.
Unit 2: Sports Psychology and Performance.
Unit 3: Arousal Stress and anxiety
Unit 4: Concept of Motivation
Unit 5: Leadership and Coaching
Unit 6: Goal Setting and Performance
Assignments x 2 – 60%
Assignment (1) – Each learner will need to present a study of the theories being examined. These theories will then have to explain how they affect emotional responses and sporting performance.
- Is goal setting required for optimum sports performance. Explain the use of and positive effectives of goal setting in sport.
- Give a Comprehensive description of leadership. How does leadership affects sports training and performance for both teams and individuals.
- Role models and leaders improve sports performance.
Assignment (2) – Learners will need to present a study of the theories of Sports Psychology. These theories will then have to explain how they affect emotional responses and sporting performance.
- Detail a comprehensive overview of the main theories of Sports Psychology.
- Show a comprehensive understanding of these theories and how they can affect individuals and performance. Explain how motivation is affected by these theories.
- Explain how motivation is affected by these theories.
- How can arousal, stress and anxiety affect sporting performance.
- Can too much aggression affect sports performance.
Examination: The internal assessor will devise a theory based examination that assesses candidates’ ability to recall, comprehend and apply the theory learned in the module by answering 10 short questions and 4 long answer questions.
The examination will be based on a range of specific learning outcomes from each of the units in the module. The examination will be 1.5 hours in duration.
As part of our quality assurance, student assessment work will be marked by an Internal Assessor, validated by a Verifier with an independent QQI External Authenticator to complete the process.
- Following successful completion you will receive a QQI Level 6 component certificate in Sports Psychology (6N4665).
- QQI (Quality & Qualifications Ireland) is the national awarding body for further education and training in Ireland. ITEC is registered with QQI to offer programmes leading to QQI awards on the National Framework of Qualifications in Ireland. Click here for details of the National Framework of Qualifications.